Thursday, June 11, 2009

One more torpedo

I was supposed to run 20 miles today, but I ain't running. I did it again. I messed up my back a little this Monday. I was supposed to do core in the gym, so I went and did some spinning, weight lifting and core. After the physiotherapist's appt, my shins were much better and I was feeling good so I kept on going for over an hour. Next day, my back was hurting as if I had pinched some nerve or had a slip disc. This has happened before to me a few years ago. I was on the bed for a week. Luckily this time, its not that bad. I can walk around but with a strange gait. If I walk for half an hour or so, I get that pain again. Heat and lying down helps. Current plan: Get better as soon as possible to start running.

Sigh.

5 comments:

  1. hey gaurav - Hope you feel better soon. Since its less than 2 weeks to go for the race, I would suggest taking it easy on the long runs till race day. You have done all the hard work and I believe that is good enough to take you across the finish line. At this stage, rest is more beneficial than mileage. If you feel good, do like a 8 miler this week. In the week before the race, do a couple of 2.5 milers before Wednesday. Complete rest on Thu/Fri/Sat (carbo-load and early to bed on Fri nite). All the very best!! I shall call you over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just checked online that you have a Saturday marathon on June 27 rather than the usual Sunday one. In my previous comments on race week, just push everything back by 1 day then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gaurav,

    The top running coach in the world is recommending against 20 miles run. He wants the marathoners (and particularly first timers) to be out not more than 3 hours in any of the sessions leading up to marathon. So, we skipped the 20 miles run as well. More at http://saismarathon.blogspot.com/2009/06/week-20-new-world-order-aka-bummer.html.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... and of course, get your arse well soon.. plenty of rest, carbs, and no stupid stunts...and same here..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys. I did run for 30 mins last Saturday and it was ok. But, I am sure, I can't run for 5 hours like this. I need to focus on recovery now.

    ReplyDelete