Sunday, May 31, 2009

18 is less than 16

I cannot believe it. It took me 10 mins less to run the 18 miler last Saturday than running the 16 miles at Hellyer. Yeah, that's the power of heat. It just saps the energy out of you. After the brutal 16 mile run at Hellyer, my main focus was to recover and be mentally ready for the heat as the 18 miler was going to be at the oracle trail. If you haven't been on it, it is very close to our apartment and goes right next to the bay. It has no shade, so a clear day would have been quite bad. However, we were lucky.

When we started from Oracle at 7:35ish, it was completely overcast and the temperature was comfortable with a very little breeze. It was ideal for running. I, and of course every one else, was so happy to have such a great weather. Besides, it was along the path which I have been on so many times. I had done parts of this whole trail at different times, so I knew the whole trail. That gave me confidence and I knew what to expect. With lots of people already on the way to San Diego for their marathon last Sunday, there were very few runners... but who cared. It was not hot so we kept on running. When I reached the Coyote Point, and saw the turn around mark, I was surprised that I had already done 9 miles, half way through, in about 1.5 hours. So, on my way back, I knew all I had to do was keep up the rhythm and I would finish strong. Also, since I was the last one running, I kept trying to catch up with the others in my wave. This target keeps you focused too as far as you are not in pain.

On my way back, I was running behind Caroline and she was doing 7-1 split. I finally caught up with her at the first (hence last) water stop after crossing two others in my wave. Ian, was doing 8 mins / mile so we couldn't even see him, so I told her, at least we can get silver and bronze. Right after that, she took off. I took little more time to stretch and fill up before the last 3.5 miles and started running. I couldn't catch up with her, but because I had a target in mind, it helped me run faster. At the end, Caroline also said that because I was trying to beat her, she kept running too. So, we both motivated each other and finished strongly. Of course, you can do this as far as there is no major pain bothering you.

The legs hurt as much as they always do but because the heat was less and mild sun came out only towards the end, I was not as dehydrated as I used to be in my previous runs. That means no headache that day. Yay!! So, after the ice bath, and usual rest, I felt much better. With little more practice and mental preparation, it looks like I just might be able to cross the finish line.

I just have to do all I can to recover from this and the next big run, the last big run which I will have to do on my own. If you are free on next Thursday morning, 11th June, and if you want to, you can help me with my run. Samir has graciously agreed to help. We are going to try and run at Sawyer camp trail as early as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment