Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Training in top gear

I took some time off from the mad 5 days a week workout schedule to recover from the shin injury that was bothering me. At last week's track workout, coach had said that its a good news that the bone and the muscles of right shin were not hurting when I touched them. It only hurt when I put weight on my right leg. So, after some massaging, icing, ibuprofen and prayer, I was ready (almost) to run the 16 miler at Hellyer park in South San Jose.

The incredible part about the run was an act of kindness by a stranger. I was running the first 5 mile on the trail prepared for the hot day. At 9 AM it was getting warm but the heat wasn't that bad. I crossed a lady on the trail and just asked her how she was doing. We started to chat a little and she asked me how close was I to my goal. She had raised funds and run an AIDS marathon so she knew. I told her I was still around 63% with about 3 weeks to the fund raising deadline. She asked me for my email address and said that she would donate. By the time I finished and got to my car, she had already sent me an email asking me for the donation website. She donated later that day to LLS through my event. I am sure she could have donated to LLS by other means, but donating through a stranger's event like this just made my day.

The trail was pretty and shaded at some places but very boring at other places. The first 9 miles were great. After the second water station, it was 1.5 miles out and back. Towards the turn around point, someone's dog was just hanging out on the trail. The dog approached me and started sniffing. It started to get a little scary but then the dog moved on. Weirrd...

Back at the second water station (now at 12 miles) people were taking a much needed break from the heat. Getting their hats and shirts wet for the heat. I kept myself hydrated throughout the run but still the last 4 miles were pretty tough. The heat was unrelenting at around 90+ degrees. I didn't feel like running after taking a break in the shade. So I developed a system of running around 5-10 mins and then taking a 2 min break. This got me closer and closer and I finished at 12:30 PM.

If it were 10 degrees cooler, I would have certainly finished it stronger than the last run, but you have good days and bad. These difficult days with rain, heat and cold prepare you, I guess, for anything on the day of the run. Hopefully Seattle will be just perfect.

I must say, the ice baths are painful, but boy they work. They help recover much faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment