Sunday, April 5, 2009

Double digits - here I come

Yesterday was the first time (not first time ever, but first time in this training) I ran a double digit run, 10 miles. We had run an 8 miler in the hills 2 weekends ago, so this was not going to be worse as the course was flat, and mentally, for me, 13.1 is the longest I have run, so anything less than that doesn't scare me. I will be entering unchartered territory a month from now when we run 14 miles.

Yesterday we ran in Half moon bay right next to the ocean. The trail is flat and beautiful. If you haven't run / or gone for a bike ride, its highly recommended. The trail starts at pillar point harbor. It is a paved trail which goes behind the beautiful houses and right next to the beach. The views from some of the points are amazing. I will certainly be going back for a nice bike ride and a picnic some day. We couldn't have asked for better weather. It was sunny yet not too warm and with gentle wind and no fog, it was a pleasure to run. I usually target 11 min / mile but I must have had the fuel at the right time, I was able to finish strong with 10 min / mile pace. I am sure with more than twice the distance and hills added, I am not going to reach 10 min / mile pace on the day of the race but it is something I aim for.

The best part however was after the race, instead of coming home and putting an ice pack, we all just went and stood in the pacific ocean water. Boy was it cold. It was so cold that it was more painful to stand in that cold water than running 10 miles and for few mins it felt like the pain would not stop. Our coaches and captain kept telling us after a while you won't feel any pain and it will help us recover faster. I am glad I stuck around. Today my legs feel much better and I will certainly do it again after every race if there is an opportunity to stand in ice cold pacific waters.

For now, I am going to relax, recover and get ready for another hectic week of workout. Next big run would be 12 miles in the mountains somewhere in woodside in two weeks.

3 comments:

  1. I'll double my pledge if you aim for 9:30 for the 12-miler. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats Gaurav. that's a solid one. Yup, standing in the ice cold waters is the best recovery.. We will be doing it in Monterrey during our 20 miles run... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Gaurav! 10 miles at 10 min/mile pace is awesome! Make sure you rest well this week.

    ReplyDelete