Saturday, March 21, 2009

Portola Valley

Today was my first long run with Team in Training. An 8 mile long run in the hills. The first hill was at one mile marker and it was quite steep. I didn't even notice the serene environment, beautiful green hillside and gorgeous houses as the only thing that mattered was to breathe and get over that first hill. Almost at the top of the hill, when I was completely out of breath and trying to catch up with my super fast group, I see a big smiley marked on the trail. It brought a smile to my face and I crossed over the hill. From then on, I got in the rhythm and continued. Second hill was a little more gradual and the water station at 2.5 mile was a welcome break. The rest of the hill was very gradual and the trail was just beautiful. I had the time to absorb the lovely environment. Out in the open, in the woods, greenery all around, and beautiful views of the bay re-inforced my love of trail running. The hills are hard no doubt, but the ups and downs work different muscle groups so you never over work one muscle group. The views from various vista points along the trails do not let you get bored. I prefer the soft trails to the unforgiving pavement.

When I looped around and reached the first water station the second time, i was expecting it to be at a 4 mile marker and to my surprise, they said I had run 6. That gave me a mental boost and with the energy of the powergel, I ran back at a good pace. That it was all downhill also helped a little. :) At the end of the run, I was greeted with the cheers of my team mates. Nice..

After the run we had an honoree picnic at a church. A leukemia survivor came and shared his story with us. He said that in 1995 all the people who were diagnosed with the kind of leukemia he had did not survive. It was because of the cure found as a result of research that now, the rate of that kind of leukemia survival is 4 out of 5. It was with passion that he said, that because of people like you, there was a cure for the kind of leukemia he had and he was alive and with us. That drove the point home that the hardship that we were going through, that we will go through, is not for nothing. Its for a very important cause and it will help save many more lives some day.

Go Team!

3 comments:

  1. Good job! 8 miles with hills is great. I am sure running with a group is a lot of fun. You are inspiring me get back into long runs again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, What a great cause! Rao and I are very happy to support you. I wish I could one day atleast attempt half a marathon :)

    Keep up the good work Gaurav! Good luck with your training!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rohit and Madhavi. Thanks for your support.

    ReplyDelete